Sorry for the delay, but here we go with the CWR. Todd from Roll Bama Roll is hosting this week, and he brings us these 5 questions.
1. What are your feelings on Alabama’s current position in the polls? Are we overrated? Underrated? Just right?
If you had told me in August that Alabama would have a legitimate argument at being the #1 ranked team in America, I would’ve checked your noggin for frying pan bruises.
Based on what we’ve achieved, I am more than willing to admit Alabama deserves the ranking. We’ve got the best win in the country. For every BCS opponent we’ve played, we blown them out of the water (Georgia did make it respectable).
2. What aspect of the game did Alabama control that shocked you the most? What aspect of the game was Alabama dominated in that shocked you the most?
The entire 1st half. I know, I know… everyone has said that, but that doesn’t take away the face that is is true.
As for being dominated, I’d have to go with Special Teams. That blocked punt was awful to watch due to the lackadaisical “going through the motions” attitude we seemed to take on that play. Add in the on-side kick and that TD on the return (yes, I heard about the refs. That still does not excuse everyone else), and it was a HORRIBLE night for Special Teams. They could cost us a game or two if they don’t get their act together.
3. Name your player of the game on Offense. Also name one on Defense.
On offense, you have to give it to John Parker Wilson. He was efficient, smooth, and in control the entire game. That TD pass to Julio was a thing of beauty, something we have not seen from John Parker as often as we would like.
On defense, I would give it to Justin Woodall. When you analyze that 2nd half comeback, a TD at the end of the half would’ve been a HUGE disaster for Alabama. But, Woodall made the Interception, and kept the score at 31-0 at the half. Add in his 5 tackles, and I’d say you have yourself a defensive MVP.
4. The Wildcats are a very quiet 4-0 with lackluster wins over Louisville, Norfolk State, MTSU, and Western Kentucky. Obviously every game in the SEC is going to be a tough one and the Tide could be in danger of a letdown after such a huge win, so are you at all worried about UK? Why or why not?
Yes, I’d say there is a cause for concern. Our special teams looked horrid last weekend, so Kentucky could be allowed a few easy points due to poor kick-off coverage. We also know that the Tulane game will be the mantra for every team coming into Tuscaloosa now that Alabama has the proverbial target on our backs.
Don’t forget that Rich Brooks has turned this program around, earning a win against the eventual BCS champion LSU Tigers. Of course, this all depends on how focused and well prepared Alabama is when the game starts. I’ve seen some of this extra love in the TV coverage, and it does make me rather uncomfortable that Antoine Caldwell watched a lot of it on ESPN.
5. John Parker Wilson is a new man this season, looking the kind of savvy game manager that can make just enough throws to keep defenses guessing we need in this offense. What’s your take on his sudden emergence, and are you comfortable with him under center in clutch
How can you not have more confidence in JPW? He got us our biggest win of the decade, something that Watts, Zow, and Croyle were unable to do. I hope it doesn’t go to his head, but I think he’s finally getting that inconsistency issue out of his system.