Welcome to another Crimson and White Roundtable!
Last week, I was your host. This week, Todd from Roll Bama Roll is your host, and he brings up 5 thoughtfully crafted questions regarding college football.
1. We have a poll up at RBR about what was the biggest SEC upset from last season. What is your pick and why?
In a season where upsets were happening left and right, I’d say Kentucky over LSU for a number of reasons. First, you have to remember that even though others were falling, LSU was seen as the Gorilla with a chainsaw…. thingy that was just going to waltz to the BCS title game. Secondly, even though we all thought highly of Andre Woodson and the Cats, LSU’s defense was supposed to be this monstrous force that could only be defeated by tossing Glenn Dorsey’s knee into the fires of Mount Doom. We all know SEC teams win with defense…. right? Finally, I remember how crazy it was once that actually happened. The college football landscape went crazy for a while, even though LSU ended up in the title game through a completely crazy finish.
2. Looking ahead to this season’s schedule, what games do you see as being the deciding factors in who will win the SEC?
Most will say UGA vs. Florida, and I can see where they are coming from. But, for arguments sake, I’ll go with…… Tennessee at Georgia, because the Dawgs have had a tough time getting past the Vols early in the season the past two years. If that Georgia defense is going to be any good, they’ve got to keep the Vols under the usual 30 to 40 points the Dunkin’ Donut Brigade has been scoring on average. If they can’t get past Tennessee, then that Florida game could end up being not so special after all.
3. Phil Steele and Athlon have Florida ranked #1 in the country with UGA coming in at #9 and #5, respectively, while Lindy’s likes the Dawgs at #1 and Florida at #6. Obviously both teams can’t represent the East in Atlanta, so which team do you think will wind up playing for the title and a berth in the Sugar Bowl (or National Championship Game), or do you think it’s possible neither team will be there at the end of the season?
I personally think Florida will be improved, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Tennessee makes a few surprise moves this season. Of course, the only thing that could hold UT back is trying to break in a new QB, but other than that I’ll still probably say Georgia by a nose. I personally think Georgia will be lucky to escape with 1 loss, but that shouldn’t keep them from Atlanta.
4. It’s a little early for a “traitor’s draft” since we don’t know who the starters are going to be until the fall, but since football is a year long affair let’s go ahead and have one. If you could trade two Alabama spring starters, one offensive and one defensive, for their counterpart on any other SEC team, who would you trade and why?
Give me Eric Berry from Tennessee on defense and Knowshon Marino form Georgia on offense. I guess I would trade Lionell Mitchell and Terry Grant. I’m a big fan of Grant, but I just wonder if he’ll stay healthy for us. As for Mitchell, I respect him, but we really need a big presence out there in the Secondary.
5. Finally, and just for fun, give me one non-Alabama game you’d love to attend this season (there’s a list of the “Top 40” non-con games of the season here if you need a little help).
I would like to see Arkansas at Texas, because that’s an old time rivalry you just don’t see anymore. I wish Houston Nutt was still the coach for humor and entertainment value. Still, seeing two fan bases that used to have some many bad feelings for each other come back together for a good old fashion hate fest is something special in college football.
I hate you, I hate you, I don’t even know you, but I hate your guts. I wish all the bad things in life happen to you, and only you.
So there is my roundtable response. Again, thanks to Todd from Roll Bama Roll for this week’s questions. Stay tuned later in the week for the Round-Up… or whatever everyone else prefers to call it.