I’m trying my hardest to stay positive about this game today, but it’s easier said than done. If Alabama wants to feel good about their bowl chances, we have to win this game on the road in Auburn. Tuberville will probably address the Texas A&M rumors sometime after the game since Fran just resigned after beating Texas. This is the biggest game of the year, as it should be. Is it a game with national implications? No, not really. Will it affect who goes to the SEC title game? No. Does it matter more than any other game this season. You bet it does. This post may be a bit of a downer for you Tide fans:
The Reason for my gut to say Alabama wins
Anything can happen, especially this season. I remember how Tyler Watts practiced all week long, only to have Andrew Zow play in the game in 2001, our last Iron Bowl win. Truly a special performance for a QB many wanted to label as a bust. John Parker Wilson comes into this game with a worse reputation than Zow at this point. He needs a big time road win in this series to gain back some of that respect he had after then Tennessee game. I don’t think he can do it, but it sure would be nice.
Reasons for my gut to say Alabama loses
- It’s in Auburn and we just lost to a commuter school.
- It will be wet and raining…. that is never good for teams with turnover problems.
- We can’t seem to stop Groves no matter what we do (although not playing Chris Capps is a start).
- Three good RBs for the Tigers.
- Brandon Cox can lead some big time last quarter drives for big results.
- Tuberville got embarrassed two weeks ago. He usually coaches better after such poor performances.
- Because we’ve never been able to win games like this in the past with this group of players.
In the end, I think it’ll either be very close, or an embarrassment. Auburn will probably win, but I wouldn’t be totally shocked (ok, I would be shocked) if Alabama could pull this one off. Tiger fans want to have some sort of repudiation of Nick Saban, although trying to claim it in his first year might not be the best example of it. I think Saban realizes the importance of rivalry games, as shown against Tennessee. He needs this game right now, almost as much as Tuberville does (although Tubby’s reason is for more contract money more than anything else). Still, anything can happen, which I’m hoping on. The underdog rarely wins in this series, but I sure would like to see it happen just one more time down in Auburn. Roll Tide!!!!