Another weekend of football, and another weekend with a crazy game. The 3rd test in our early gauntlet of games is upon us: Alabama vs. Florida State. There are so many stories lines and so much pre-season hype from the fans, I hope this game doesn’t disappoint. I’m not really sure what to expect, although I’m leaning towards the Tide in this one. We shall see.
Reasons for my gut to say Alabama wins
- We’ll end up with some kind of advantage with the amount of Alabama fans at this game. Tuscaloosa was like a ghost town Friday.
- Terry Grant, Glen Coffee, and Roy Upchurch give one of the best backfields on the SEC, maybe even the nation.
- FSU only rushes 3 men on defense. I hope this means less pressure for JPW.
- Kevin Steele has to know something about FSU’s talent and schemes. He was the associate head coach down there.
- Brian Motley and Darren Mustin will be back (don’t know in what capacity). Mustin is crucial if we want to stop the run.
- We have to come out looking better than we did against Georgia last week. If not, I imagine the players will be making pizzas before Homecoming.
- Drew Weatherford.
Reasons for my gut to say Alabama losses
- This is a HUGE game for Bobby Bowden. I imagine his guys will be giving some extra effort out there for him.
- Jimbo Fisher has had 2 weeks to fix whatever problems the Seminoles have had offensively.
- Mickey Andrews (Bama grad) always puts out a tough defense that has plenty of speed.
- They still have a 5 star RB in Smith, even though their O-Line can’t open up holes for him.
- Bowden is 7-1 in Jacksonville against non-conference opponents.
- Our defense is still going to have to show us that they can step up late in the game. Until then, I have no reason to expect anything other than a tired group of players in the 4th quarter.
- Our Offense is bi-polar at times. Every game from here on out depends on the play of John Parker Wilson.
(Picture from The Decatur Daily)