It appears that Dale Earnhardt Jr. is about to make his big move. It is rumored that he will sign with Hendricks on Wednesday. It is speculated that Budweiser will follow Dale Jr. where ever he lands. Most of the hardcore Dale Earnhardt fans I know will probably be VERY torn after this decision is announced.
If you don’t follow NASCAR, Jeff Gordon drives for Hendricks. Most Earnhardt fans in the south hate Jeff Gordon with a passion only comparable to an Alabama vs. Tennessee game (after the Phil Fulmer secret witness stuff). If they are going to be teammates, that means that Dale Jr. will actually help Gordon be successful, and vis versa.
Will this make the fan based rivalry grow? Or, will it cause a lull in the hate Gordon movement?
I think it may be a good thing for the fans in the end. Here are a few ways to look on the bright side of things:
- Gordon could introduce Junior to a Swedish model. That way, there could be a Dale III for fans to follow in the future, but with blond hair and blue eyes. Your future daughters will thank Gordon for this, I’m sure of it.
- Junior can finally get his own Barbie doll… The next Tickle Elmo like craze perhaps?
- Dale Jr. will become even more marketable than ever before. With Hendricks cash behind him, expect a lot more of Junior in TV commercials. I cannot wait to see Junior sell us a Pepsi product. (It burns for me to type this).
- They could be the new Odd-Couple. Imagine the hilarious episode where Gordon misses his lip collagen injection because Junior accidentally washed the pair of jeans with the doctors note in them.
- Together, they could take over the world! But, they would probably fail again and again. They’ll just be doing it for kicks when they aren’t signing autographs together. Who will be the smart one?
- So there your have it. Don’t get down Junior fans, just remember one thing. No matter how much you feel like Jeff Gordon whines, Junior will benefit from it too.